Friday, October 13, 2006

Why are the elevators so slow around here?

Just a short one, but another great elevator moment brought to you by yours truly.

This morning while waiting for my car, a girl came down and was waiting for hers also. I believe her name was Kate, but don't hold me to that. As we waited, we chatted a little, and I guess I was too tired to say anything really stupid, or maybe I was just too tired to remember the dumb things I said. At any rate she told me that she was going to pick her friend up from the airport and then was off to work.

It just so happened that the exact same girl was coming home at the same time as I was, and we shared an elevator ride up.
"He's stalking me" she pointed out to her friend, "Just Kidding"
"No, I am... I'm really into you" I joked. "What floor you going to?" I asked as she had her hands full and I really like pressing the buttons.
"17"
"Wow, I'm impressed"(17 is the top floor)
"Oh, you're only on 11? I'm not sure I can even talk to you"
"I know, how embarrassing for me"

Up until this point I had done quite well. There was a little back and forth, a little humor. But then somewhere between floors 5 and 6 something happened, and I decided to show the real me.
"I'll let you in on a little secret," she told me, "I'm actually renting"
"Oh, I own mine. Although I probably should have waited." At this point I meant to say something to the effect of, "I'm sure they're a lot cheaper now", but what came out of the swirling abyss of retardation that is my mouth was, "I'm sure they're too cheap now".

Immediately after I said it I thought to myself, "What the hell does that mean? That's retarded you moron. Well, maybe they didn't notice"
"What the hell does that mean? Too cheap?" she asked.
"Oh uhm.. uh.... I mean they're probably cheaper now?"

At that point the doors opened and I exited. I'm pretty sure I didn't make eye contact again after about floor 6. I'm sure she'll be down soon to ask to borrow a cup of sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment

One

A black Jetta pulled up outside my house and I jumped in without a moment's hesitation. Hopping in a near stranger's car didn't...