Tuesday, March 13, 2007

My piano, okay. My guitar, maybe. My flute... Really? (Guitar)

The Tuesday after I had met Ruth and Rachel we went to see Joshua Radin in concert. I didn't know who he was, and what little of his music I had heard sounded a little pixie dust and rainbows to me, but I figured I'd check it out anyhow. It was acoustic guitar, coffee shop type crap, which is something I'm sort of in to lately, and it wasn't a big venue so I figured it'd be fun. Oh yeah, and my beautiful neighbor had invited me... I guess that helped motivate me a little... but just a little.

On the way there, Ruth informed me that she had invited a friend of hers, who for the sake of anonymity, we'll refer to as Suitor #37. Apparently 37 was in to Ruth a little, and even though they'd known each other for a long time, nothing had really ever happened.

37 showed up about half way through the concert. Rachel and I were enjoying the music, and 37 and Ruth spent the majority of the time chatting behind us. I ended up really digging the show, which surprised me.

As we went to leave, 37's car was nowhere to be found. It turns out he had parked in a tow away spot, and his car was gone. He seemed fairly upset(As you can imagine), and Ruth felt really bad, as if it was her fault he had parked in a spot that read, "No Parking".

To be fair, the store that he parked in front of was long closed, so it was a bit silly that they'd still be towing people, but I guess those are the breaks.

The lot where his car was kept was closed for the night, so Ruth told him he could crash at her place and she'd take him in the morning.

(Note to self: If you're trying to get the invite back to a girl's place, park in the tow away zone. Best 135 bucks that guy ever spent)

We got back to our place, and all ended up in my condo. 37 was giving Ruthie the look, and it was starting to feel a little weird for me. Just as it got weird Rachel asked if I wanted to go down to the work out room in the building. I agreed as the "romantic tension" between Ruth and 37 seemed to be rising.

It's important to note that at this point in time, I had known Ruth and Rachel about 4 days, and #37 I had met about 2 hours before. Ruth and 37 were heading towards first base as I announced Rachel and I were leaving. It was my assumption at this point that maybe they'd relocate... For example, to Ruth's house, which is roughly 4 feet away.

After a 20 minute work out I returned to find 37, with Ruth sort of laying on one of his knees. Across the other knee was my guitar. Now, I'm not sure how many readers are musicians... It would be a far stretch to call myself one, but I think it's a general rule that playing another man's guitar without asking is sort of like taking their car for a spin without asking. Just because you know how to drive stick shift too doesn't make it okay. Even if, in this metaphor, my guitar is a 1978 Pinto, I still think it's odd to go into someone you don't know's house and start playing their guitar.

Besides, if anyone is going to sit on my couch, play my guitar, and not score with my neighbor, by default it should be me. I mean... That's my thing. You don't show up at Martha Stewart's for Thanksgiving and bring a Turkey you made at home. You don't hop in the car with Jeff Gordon and tell him you wanna drive, and you don't come over to my house and not score with my neighbors.

They didn't really seem bothered by my presence, and Rachel had left to go to bed. I believe, they eventually got the hint and left, but it certainly took longer than I felt was comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

One

A black Jetta pulled up outside my house and I jumped in without a moment's hesitation. Hopping in a near stranger's car didn't...