Friday, November 03, 2006

Tales from the Top: Week 2

Last Saturday we decided to hike Squaw Peak yet again. This time we wanted to be on the mountain by 7:30 since Harold had to be at work early. Geremy also enlisted two more girls, Heidi and Desireé, from his veritable cornucopia of girls that I have no chance with.

I got up, got ready, and then got a call from G telling me that Harold wasn't answering her phone, and that she was Heidi's ride to the mountain, so he wasn't sure what to do. We decided that I'd go pick her up and we'd meet at the mountain which seemed convenient enough. It was a bit of a trek out to her house estate, but it was a nice day so I took the top down and enjoyed the drive. She had woken up at 6:30 too, and it didn't seem fair to leave her out of the festivities just because Harold's lazy ass couldn't get out of bed.

Let's pause for a moment here, for reasons that will soon become apparent, to describe my "type". Most of my life I've thought that having a "type" was a bit silly. My friend Bryan is fond of saying, "If you're in the desert dying of thirst you don't wait for a clean glass." I think you can find something attractive in most people, but in the past 2 years of my post-Stacey journeys I've realized that I do in fact have a "type". That's not to say that someone has to have certain qualities, but to be sure, these qualities are always a recipe for an insta-crush. Let's try to break down the key points here for the reader at home.

1. Energetic - I think I'm fairly energetic when I want to be, so being around energetic people helps bring that out in me.

2. Cute Smile - I'm a sucker for a girl with a cute smile. This may be because I'm physically incapable of smiling on demand(That's a story for another time, and not in any way a joke)

3. Out Going - By out going I mean more out going than I am. That's not too tough. There are agoraphobes in the world who are more out going than I am.

That mostly sums it up. Now back to our regularly scheduled program....

I wasn't really sure what to expect out of Heidi, but I had my fingers crossed for kind of a big, lazy, unattractive girl for two main reasons.

First, I had to spend the next 30 minutes alone in a car with this girl who I didn't know, and if I found her attractive I was sure to have more blogging material than anyone would care to read.

Second, I had to hike up a mountain with her, and if she was slow, it would make me not look so bad.

It's not often that I get what I wish for, and Saturday was no exception. I knocked on the door, and who should answer but a nice, energetic, outgoing girl with a super cute smile. At this point the nervousness started to kick in, but I think I did quite well. It helped that she's one of the warmest/easiest to talk to people I've met in my life. We even had a brief Star Wars discussion on the way back initiated by her. (Every fellow nerd reading my blog just read the last sentence as, "She's perfect")

Don't expect the wedding invitations any time soon though. She also happens to be 19, and given the universal formula for acceptable dating age ranges, that's waaaay out of line. (For those curious, the UFADAR is: Half your age+7. For example I'm 29. Half of 29 is 14.5. Plus 7 gives us a minimum age of 21 and a half)

Even I'm smarter than to disobey the UFADAR, and I was surprisingly able to keep any crush type feelings to a minimum. You can be sure though that if I was 10 years younger I'd be at home right now with my guitar across one leg, and a pad of paper on the other trying to think of words that rhyme with Heidi.

At any rate... I still had hope on the way there that Desireé would be size large and therefore I could avoid being the weakest link, but again no such luck. Desireé was another cute 19 year old, and just as energetic and fit as Heidi.

We eventually made it to the top despite my frequent stops and general wussings. I'm sure if either of the girls has a blog they have an entry titled, "Good Deeds: Helped an old man to the top of a mountain"

1 comment:

  1. That's not fair...I wasn't being a lazy ass...whatever...don't talk to me...I HATE YOU AND OLIVES AND ARTICHOKES!!!! There! Cry over that one!!!

    ReplyDelete

One

A black Jetta pulled up outside my house and I jumped in without a moment's hesitation. Hopping in a near stranger's car didn't...